Summer is made for the outdoors. When the weather turns warm, the
backyard becomes the central focus for family fun. After a long, cold winter,
homeowners around the country turn their attention to their lawns. Yet, these
weekend warriors could be sabotaging their lawns by making these 5
1. Overwatering – Watering is vital for a healthy lawn, but overwatering
can prevent the lush green homeowners seek. Instead of frequent light
watering, aim for more infrequent watering for a longer, deeper soak. This
allows the moisture to penetrate deep down to the roots.
2. Over mowing – Cutting the grass too short weakens the root. Every
type of grass has different requirements, consult a local gardening center to
understand the needs of your lawn. Avoid cutting more than a third of the
grass blade height in a single mowing session.
3. Ignoring Soil Health – Regular soil care ensures a strong foundation
for your lawn. Test for the proper pH level and any nutrient deficiencies.
Use fertilizers throughout the growing season and consider an aeration
rotation for better water absorption.
4. Neglecting Weed Control – Weeds and other pests can damage
lawns quickly and make it difficult to recover. Implement a regular weed and
pest control program. Be careful using pesticides around pets and children.
Watch that you do not overuse pesticides as that can deprive the lawn of
5. Forgetting to Feed Properly – In addition to soil health, the lawn
itself needs regular feeding. Choose a fertilizer based on the type of grass
and environment, then create a regular cadence for use.
Ensure a healthy and vibrant lawn all summer long by avoiding a few
common mistakes homeowners make each year.